Advantages of KGC Membership
- Provides scholarships to club members to attend sessions of Flower Show School, Landscape Design School, Environmental Studies School and Gardening Study School. For more information on schools offered nationally go to http://gardenclub.org and click on the schools tab.
- Grants awards to member clubs for community beautification projects up to $200 matching funds.
- Provides a Miriam Arend Scholarship to help clubs go to the MGC State Convention each spring.
- Sponsors flower arranging classes each year.
- Supports the Landscapers Garden Club Garden Walk.
- Schedules and conducts a Standard Flower Show.
- Sponsors a Kalamazoo in Bloom flower bed in Bronson Park.
- Works on projects with Kalamazoo in Bloom and the County Parks Department.
- Sponsors the Annual Holiday Greens Sale for the community.
- Maintains a library of over 3,000 books and videos on gardening and related topics for its members.
- Provides an annual Directory of its members.
- Provides members with a semi-annual newsletter, The Garden Post.
- Maintains the yard and garden around the Council House at Markin Glen Park.
- Provides member clubs with a free, fully equipped kitchen, meeting rooms and work room spaces.
- Maintains a Garden Shop for members to purchase supplies at reduced prices.
- Maintains a web site – www.kalamazoogardencouncil.org
- Sponsors bus trips, at a reduced rate, to points of interest.
ADVANTAGES OF FEDERATED MEMBERSHIP:
The advantages of a federated membership which includes membership in the National Garden Council, Inc., Central Region and Michigan Garden Clubs, Inc. are explored on the Michigan Garden Clubs, Inc. website. Click on the link to see why our Kalamazoo Garden Council belongs to these organizations.
The Kalamazoo Garden Council, Inc. consists of members of ten garden clubs in the Greater Kalamazoo Area, whose aim is to promote the objectives of KGC and the Michigan Garden Clubs, Inc. Friends of the Council are people who would like to be on the mailing lists and receive the newsletter for a $15 donation. For assistance in finding out how to become a potential new member, please contact the Membership Chair, Janet Keys (KA) (269) 344-9234 or JanLkeys234@gmail.com. She will provide information about the Kalamazoo Garden Council and various garden clubs. You will find additional information about our ten garden clubs on this site.
Information regarding new club members, resignations, changes or corrections in names, addresses, telephone, or email during the year, should be given to Bunny LaDuke (269) 685-1731 or email@example.com. This information will be sent to the Circulation Chair.
KALAMAZOO GARDEN COUNCIL BUSINESS MEETINGS:
Meetings are held on the 2nd Tuesday of each month except December and February. The Greens Sale wrap-up meeting is held in January. The KGC Annual Meeting is held the second Tuesday in June, during which time the incoming officers are installed. All club members are invited and urged to attend any or all Council meetings. Voting is restricted to officers, committee chairs and the individual club representative.
Council dues of $3.00 per member are payable June 1 and delinquent October 1. Member club treasurers should make checks payable to the Kalamazoo Garden Council, Inc. and send to the KGC Treasurer.
Michigan Garden Clubs, Inc. dues of $7.00 per member include National Garden Club, Inc. dues and are payable June 1 and delinquent September 1. Club treasurers pay directly to the MGC Treasurer and send rosters to the Data Base Chair. All MGC information will be distributed to the club presidents or representative at the Annual Spring District III meeting.
Annual KGC Directories are given to the club representatives at the September KGC meeting for distribution to their club members. Please verify the information and submit corrections to the KGC Treasurer as referenced above under the Dues heading. Extra directories are available for new club members.
“The Garden Post” is published semi-annually (June and Dec.) and mailed to all Kalamazoo Garden Council members. Members are encouraged to submit articles, and to publicize club activities and accomplishments. Publication deadlines are May 1 and November 1.